Hi William,

There is a company, Enthought, which offers a free package installer, which
comes with 6 "essential" python libraries, including matplotlib.

http://www.enthought.com/products/epd_free.php

If you have an "edu" email account (you are an academic, or do academic
research at a gov lab, like LBL) you can download their full set of libraries

http://www.enthought.com/products/edudownload.php

If not, and you think it is worth it (or can get your company to pay), starting
at $199 you can download their package installer (and get their tech support).

Couple words about them:  I have no affiliation with them.  Some of their
original employees were deeply involved in numpy.  They developed a 3D plotting
library, Mayavi, which is pretty cool.

I am reasonably comfortable with my mac, installing src code etc.  I used to
install everything myself (back on OS X Tiger).  Then, when I upgraded to Snow
Leopard, I couldn't get it all to work out - I did an account migration from
old to new, and then there were some issues (I think) relating to the 32 vs 64
bit compatibility that I couldn't resolve.  I went to a friend who is good with
computers to get help - he said "You should just use the Enthought installer -
its so easy, that is what I do".  That helped me get over feeling like I had to
do it all myself.  (Of course some day, when I have heaps of free time and no
pressure from work, I will sort out how to do it all myself again....)

I am guessing if you want to link numpy against the full BLAS/LAPACK libraries
for optimal speed on matrix manipulation etc, then you may need to do the
installation yourself, including all the fortran libraries.  But at least with
their package installer, it should work out of the box.  Also, it installs the
whole suite as a "Framework" in /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
with a cleverly chosen Version so as not to mesh with your own installation.
So you can install there version, based on 2.7 and your own version 2.7 and
they won't interfere.  You'll just have to relink the /usr/bin/python and
/usr/local/bin/python to which version you want.

Good luck,

Andre