Hi William,
I have also spent some time to have a numpy/scipy/matplotlib set working under
mac os X lion (10.7.3)....
I use python 2.7.2, and work with ipython (0.12) in pylab mode.
I finally did a mixture of several posts on forums and got it to work properly
now.

Here is the recipe :

1 - Install homebrew (and remove macport and fink) and easy-install / pip

2 - Install python, gfortran and pkg-config using homebrew
With homebrew, everything should be installed in /usr/local/Cellar

3 - Install ipython (0.12) and numpy (1.6.1) with homebrew

4 - Scipy install (version 0.11.0.dev-e857412 ) :

pip install -e git+https://github.com/scipy/scipy#egg=scipy-dev

It automatically installs scipy in /Users/nicolas/src and link it to
/usr/local/Cellar/

5 - Matplotlib install (dev as well 1.2.x):

sudo make -f make.osx PREFIX=/Users/nicolas/src PYVERSION=2.7 fetch deps
mpl_install_std

It also instal in /Users/yourname/src/
It also

6 - add to your .bash_profile the following :

export PATH=/usr/local/bin:$PATH
export PATH=/usr/local/share/python:$PATH
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python:$PYTHONPATH

The "not very nice and clean" art is that I have a /src folder (which contains
numpy) and a /matplotilib folder in my /Users/nicolas....

I hope it helps.

Nicolas