________________________________
 From: Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu>
To: Michael Rawlins <rawlin...@yahoo.com>
Cc: "matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net"
<matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 3:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] show() does not pop up a window

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM, Michael Rawlins <rawlin...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I've just installed numpy 1.6 and matplotlib 1.0.0 from source code on two
>linux machines, both running linux Ubuntu OS with python installed from
>Synaptic Package Manager. I've noticed no anomalies one machine. On the second
>machine, graphic window does not pop up. I'm run python non-interactively. For
>example:
>

>> python demo_axes_grid.py
>

>returns to command prompt without error on misbehaving machine. That same
>standard program works fine on the other machine. Interestingly, everything
>was working fine yesterday under version 0.99.
>

>Mike

Mike,

At the very least, please try out v1.0.1, but I recommend v1.1.0.  These
releases contains many fixes to the show() behavior.  If it still doesn't work,
could you please attach your mpl build log?

Ben Root

I've removed v1.0.0 and installed v1.1.0.  Tried Eric's suggestion.

>python
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec  7 2009, 18:45:15)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2
>>> import matplotlib
>>> print matplotlib.get_backend()
agg

Then quit python and ran demo.

>python demo_axes_grid.py

No plot window came up.

Ben:  Where is the build log?  A file name?  Does the build require and option
to be given to produce the log?

Mike