On 02/22/2012 04:06 PM, ava...@famaf.unc.edu.ar wrote:
> Dear users,
> I am trying to install matplotlib from source. When I run:
>   sudo python setup.py install>  build.out
> I got the following:
> basedirlist is: ['/usr/local', '/usr']
> BUILDING MATPLOTLIB
>              matplotlib: 1.2.x
>                  python: 2.7.2+ (default, Oct  4 2011, 20:06:09)  [GCC 4.6.1]
>                platform: linux2
>
> REQUIRED DEPENDENCIES
>                   numpy: no
>                          * You must install numpy 1.4 or later to build
>                          * matplotlib.
>
> But numpy is installed(/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/numpy)
> python -c "import numpy; print numpy.__version__"
> 1.6.1
> How matplotlib could locate numpy path?

mpl is trying to use exactly this method: import numpy.  See the
check_for_numpy function() in setupext.py.

All I can imagine is that either because of sudo, or because of the
terminal you were in when you tried to build, your sys.path was not
including the /usr/local path.

Try:
sudo python -c "import numpy; print numpy.__version__"

sudo python -c "import sys; print '\n'.join(sys.path)"

The latter must include /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages.

Eric