I will never get use to reply-all

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <josef.p...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] Matplotlib gallery
To: Nicolas Rougier <nicolas.roug...@inria.fr>

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Nicolas Rougier
<nicolas.roug...@inria.fr> wrote:

> I agree, but the current matplotlib gallery is rather clueless about what the
> examples are related to until you click an image. I'm personally using the
> gallery by looking at an example that match what I've in mind most closely
> and then look at the code. But you're right, some structure(s) would
> definitely help.
>
> Here is an example of a well structured gallery:
> http://www.gigawiz.com/aagraphs.html.
>
> The first-level structure is organized at:
>
> Specialized Scientific Graphing
> Scatter Graphs
> Contour Charts (2-D, 3-D, and Ternary)
> Heatmaps
> Voronoi Diagram
> Waterfall Charts
> Bubble Charts
> Spider Charts
> Polar Charts
> Column and Bar Charts
> Area Charts
> Line Charts
> Combination Charts (Column-Line, Bar-Line, Area-Line)
> Diagrams of Multiple, Independent Value-Axes Column, Bar or Area Graphs
> High-Low, (Open)-High-Low-Close, and Range Charts
> Pie Charts and X-Y Scatter Pie
> Vector Charts
> Statistical Charts
>

> Maybe we can find/agree on similar structure(s)/sub-structure(s) and adapt it
> to the current gallery ?

An advantage of the current all in one page gallery is that it is
easier to find a recipe when I just look for individual plot elements,
when I have not much idea what it might be called and just some idea
what it should look like.

That's different from looking for plots with a specific usage or content.

Josef