Am 01.03.2012 um 17:59 schrieb Jean-Baptiste Marquette <marqu...@iap.fr>:

> Dear Python gurus,
>
> I have written the attached script to plot data from SAMP interaction with
> TOPCAT (http://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/topcat/).
> I select a row on a given table (VOtable format) in TOPCAT, got the message
>
> Selected : file:/Volumes/pepperland/erosdata/cc_all/tm_all.vot 18
> Plotting star tm5000k7768
>
> All I obtain on screen is a blank rectangle window without borders and the
> rainbow wheel. I sampled the python process, file attached as well.
> I updated PyQt4 using the latest Mac snapshot and the Qt 4.8 libraries.
>
> Any hint welcome, thanks.

A hint. Not a solution. No guarantee.

With Tkinter, a similar problem arises if Tkinter calls are made from another
thread than those one which imported Tkinter. At least on OS X 10.6, the
program will be unreliable, crashing after unpredictable time with similar
symptoms to that you diagnosed. The Tkinter window will no longer update, even
if Tkinter calls are made, and probably even if from the Tkinter importing
thread. If one makes some inputs, iirc, the rainbow wheen appears.

I am well aware of that this is isn't Tkinter. It's a guess, as I said, and
meant as a pointer to the root which can lead, in Tkinter, but maybe also in
PyQt, to such problems.

A solution is to message the main thread via thread shared objects. The main
thread needs to poll them then. With Tkinter this is relatively easy to
implement, but I have no idea about what it would look like in PyQt.

It might well be that all this here is utter nonsense and leads nowhere. But
since noone else has emphatic suggestions I thought I spend my 2 Ct.

Friedrich