On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:
>

>> +1 as well.  I just took another look at the Path object and I see no
>> such function.  The lack of this function is a problem for me as well in my
>> existing apps.  In order to deprecate nxutils, this functionality needs to
>> be added to Path.  Otherwise, nxutils *must* be reinstated before the next
>> release.
>>

> Michael has already agreed to make a nxutils compatibility layer that
> would have the same interface as the old nxutils.  So we are talking about
> performance, not core functionality.
>
> We should remember that Michael did the lion's share of the work on
>  porting mpl to python 3 (
> https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/565/commits).  He elected
> not to port all of the C++ if he could replace some of the functionality
> with the core.  So those who rely on bare metal speed the you are getting
> in nxutils should step up to either :
>
> 1) help with the port of nxutils to python 3
>
> 2) help with exposing methods in _path.cpp that are almost as fast or
> faster
>
> 3) live with slower speeds in the compatibility layer he has agreed to
> write
>
> 4) ask (nicely) for someone to help you
>
> I prefer option 2 because this is fairly easy and avoids code redundancy.
>  It would take just a few lines of extra code to do this with the python
> sequence protocol as inputs and python lists as return values.  It would
> take a bit more to support numpy arrays as input and output, and we should
> get input from Michael about the desirability of making _path.cpp depend on
> numpy.  I don't see the harm, but I'd like to verify.
>
> In my opinion, a slower implementation in a
> nxutils.py compatibility module is not a release stopper, even if it is
> undesirable.
>
> JDH

Don't get me wrong.  If help is needed, I can certainly provide it since it
is my itch.  I am just a little exasperated with how this issue has been
handled up to now.  The shim is a very good idea and it should have been
done back when the py3k merge happened.  I didn't press the issue then
because I was traveling and didn't have time to examine the issue closely,
and having _nxutils.so still in my build hide the problem from me (my own
fault).

As for shim implementation, I would be willing to accept a slightly slower
function now (with the promise of improvements later), but if the
implementation is too much slower, then effort will need to be made to get
it up to acceptable levels.  I know of several users **cough**my future
employer**cough** who uses functionality such as this, and they would not
be happy if their products are dragged down by such a bottleneck.

Probably about time I dug more into CXX wrapped stuff...

Ben Root