Greetings,

Let me begin by saying that I've fallen in love with ImageGrid. I love the
control it gives me in setting up plots, and I really like the control it
offers for setting up a colorbar. Unfortunately, like all relationships,
ImageGrid and I have hit a rough patch.

I like to manually place titles and other boxes of texts on plots that I
make using ImageGrid. However, to center things I have to know what the
axes bounds are so I can do the centering calculations. Unfortunately, when
using ImageGrid, or axes_divider, I have yet to find a way to get the axes
bounds that are actually used to do the plotting. When I try to use

ax.get_position().bounds

I get the pre-adjusted bounds, even if I use plt.draw() before requesting
the axes_positions. This means the only way I can center the text is by
guessing what the final axes bounds will be.  Is there any way of getting
the final bounds? It appears anchored text is able to do it, but I haven't
been able to...

Here's a self-contained example script that demonstrates the problem.  I
don't use ImageGrid, instead using axes_divider, however this is the same
problem that AxesGrid has. (I'm guessing this is because ImageGrid
ultimately does what I did here behind the scenes.)

https://gist.github.com/2004869

Thanks for any help!

Patrick
---
Patrick Marsh
Ph.D. Student / Liaison to the HWT
School of Meteorology / University of Oklahoma
Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies
National Severe Storms Laboratory
http://www.patricktmarsh.com