Mic :
Thank you for your solutions. However, with my dataset it did not work out with the following code:

    Please find attached the histogram. The dataset I am sending with
    next email.

1. You haven'sent *in.small.txt*, but *in.txt*, 70 MB, several millions lines. Please, be gentle wrt people who want to help you and are obliged to test your stuff.

2. You file is buggy, last two lines generate an exception. They contain a text "mean ...".

3. I corrected them, the program works, and gives the picture you attached. You don't say WHAT is "not working". Is it the question of scaling, or something else?

4 If it is scaling, and IF IF ... you want to obtain something I attach, then use the code:

   *hst=axes.hist(data, bins=50, normed=True)
   mxh=max(hst[0])
   plt.plot([mean,mean],[0,mxh],'r',lw=2)
   *

5. Learn something about WHAT is a normed histogram in matplotlib, how to get into the plotted data, and to adjust the scales. Otherwise such problems will repeat.

6. Finally, in our civilized world people sign their messages. Anonymous letters are ugly.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk