On Tuesday, June 12, 2012, wiswit wrote:

> Hi, Thanks Fernando! I am using vim and I checked a little bit the tool and
> it seems of great help!
> I am not saying that we need something perfect. It's already great to have
> these tools (ipython, matplotlib). Just imagine what's kind of feeling
> working within pure python shell... thanks for these great work.
>
> Chao

Do a search for modern python IDE in vim. I found some of the tools in
there to be exceptionally useful for creating scripts. Note that I usually
use mpl to display a result generated from a complex script and rarely from
an interactive python prompt.

It sounds like you are more in the other camp, and may benefit from a
slight rethinking of your overall workflow. I follow the philosophy of
making a tool to do one thing and do it well.  For example, I made myself a
"super ncview" to view 2d netcdf data and placed it in my .local/bin
folder.  So, when debugging a script that uses a netcdf file, I can quickly
check its contents with a simple shell call. Note, though that it is only
useful to me because I typically work with netcdf files, and so you would
need to make tools suited for your typical data files.

Cheers!
Ben Root