On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM, John Hunter <jdh2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Damon McDougall <
> damon.mcdoug...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Would there be any interest in porting some of that functionality into
>> the main mpl codebase? Like Ben said, that error function is nifty... :)
>>

> I also think the styles would be widely appreciated, and we might get more
> styles contributors if it was part of the mainline.  We'd ideally like to
> be able to support remote styles, eg via gist.
>
> Nice stuff, Tony.

Damon and John: Thanks for your interest. I would be happy to help port
anything that can find a home in Matplotlib. I'm low on bandwidth, so if
I'm too slow with any of it, feel free to grab the code and submit your own
PR for the port (just let me know so we don't duplicate our efforts).

As for porting the stylesheet implementation: Currently, the style files
must be ConfigObj-readable files (which has a different syntax than
matplotlibrc files). I've been planning to rewrite the implementation to
 use either file-type, but it may be best to just leave things as-is in
mpltools, and create a matplotlib PR that uses matplotlibrc-style files.

Right now, matplotlib's rc-machinery is not easily reusable: I would want
to wait until after PR 861, which helps a bit:

     https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/861

There may need to be some more refactoring on that front before styles are
added to the mainline, but I'm happy to help.

Cheers,
-Tony