Have you ever been in a talk where someone uses 100% green on a slide? The
result is usually that no one can see what is shown unless it is a really large
green area. Green should be dark and not (0, 255, 0)! The same applies to cyan
and yellow. Were the colors like you want them, they would be useless for lines
and plot symbols. My guess is that this happens because rod cells which are the
most light sensitive ones have very similar wavelength responsiveness to the
cone cells (the ones for color vision) which react to green light. Hence, you
just don't have as much contrast for green text on a white background as you
have for example for blue text. Also, green on black is much easier to read
than blue or red on black by the same argument.