I am using 1.2.X and here is a minimalist example to see what happens:

Link to figure of output:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13534143/example.png

Example:
import numpy as np
import matplotlib as mpl
X, Y = np.meshgrid(arange(20),arange(20))
Z = np.arange(20*20)
Z = Z.reshape(20,20)
logNorm = mpl.colors.Normalize(vmin=0,vmax=200)
fig = mpl.pyplot.figure(10)
ax = fig.add_subplot(111)
surf = ax.contourf(X,Y,Z, 100, cmap=matplotlib.cm.jet, norm = logNorm)
cbar = fig.colorbar(surf, shrink=0.70, norm=logNorm)
show()
draw()