Hi,

I'm having trouble installing matplotlib on mac os x.  I downloaded the dmg
file
(matplotlib-1.1.1-py2.7-python.org-macosx10.6.dmg<http://sourceforge.net/projects/matplotlib/files/matplotlib/matplotlib-1.1.1/matplotlib-1.1.1-py2.7-python.org-macosx10.6.dmg/download>
) from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/matplotlib/files/matplotlib/matplotlib-1.1.1/.
I was able to install this package.  Beforehand, I installed python
from
python.org (I read about the need to do this rather than use the shipped
python for mac os x).  So, the original python is in /usr/bin/python and
the other, newer one, is in /usr/local/bin/python.

However, after running "ipython -pylab", I get an error message:

Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Aug  5 2011, 03:30:24)

IPython 0.13 -- An enhanced Interactive Python.
?         -> Introduction and overview of IPython's features.
%quickref -> Quick reference.
help      -> Python's own help system.
object?   -> Details about 'object', use 'object??' for extra details.
[TerminalIPythonApp] GUI event loop or pylab initialization failed
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)
/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/ipython-0.13-py2.7.egg/IPython/core/pylabtools.pyc
in find_gui_and_backend(gui)
    194     """
    195
--> 196     import matplotlib
    197
    198     if gui and gui != 'auto':

ImportError: No module named matplotlib

It seems that I don't have a module-- but I just installed it?

Side note:  I've read to the best of my ability this page here,
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq/installing_faq.html#os-x-notes , but
there seems to be a disconnect on this page between the actual installation
procedure.  For example, no where on this page does it mention about a
*.dmg file, yet the sourceforge site has the *.dmg file.  And this help
site mentions *.zip files, but this time the sourceforge download page does
not have any *.zip files!  What is going on here?

Thanks,
Tim