On 2012/09/07 4:00 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

> [...]
>>         in autoscale_None(self)
>>             281         if self._A is None:
>>             282             raise TypeError('You must first set_array
>>         for mappable')
>>         --> 283         self.norm.autoscale_None(self._A)
>>             284         self.changed()
>>             285
>>

>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/matplotlib/colors.py
>>         in autoscale_None(self, A)
>>             889         ' autoscale only None-valued vmin or vmax'
>>             890         if self.vmin is None:
>>         --> 891             self.vmin = ma.min(A)
>>             892         if self.vmax is None:
>>             893             self.vmax = ma.max(A)
>>

>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/ma/core.pyc
>>         in min(obj, axis, out, fill_value)
>>            5873 def min(obj, axis=None, out=None, fill_value=None):
>>            5874     try:
>>         -> 5875         return obj.min(axis=axis,
>>         fill_value=fill_value, out=out)
>>            5876     except (AttributeError, TypeError):
>>            5877         # If obj doesn't have a max method,
>>

>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/ma/core.pyc
>>         in min(self, axis, out, fill_value)
>>            5054         # No explicit output
>>            5055         if out is None:
>>         -> 5056             result =
>>         self.filled(fill_value).min(axis=axis, out=out).view(type(self))
>>            5057             if result.ndim:
>>            5058                 # Set the mask
>>

>> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/7.3/lib/python2.7/site-packages/numpy/ma/core.pyc
>>         in filled(self, fill_value)
>>            3388             return self._data
>>            3389         else:
>>         -> 3390             result = self._data.copy()
>>            3391             try:
>>            3392                 np.putmask(result, m, fill_value)
>>
>>         MemoryError:
>>         {/code}
>>

>>     This is more a NumPy issue than anything else.  We need to know
>>     the min and the max of the array in order to automatically scale
>>     the colormap for display.  Therefore, we query the array object
>>     for its min/max.  Because we support masked arrays, the array is
>>     first cast as a masked array, and then these queries are done.
>>
>>     It appears that in numpy's masked array module, it calculates the
>>     array's min by making a copy of itself first.  I would have
>>     figured that it would have done its task differently.  In the
>>     meantime, I suspect you can work around this problem by explicitly
>>     setting the vmin/vmax keyword arguments to imshow if you know
>>     them.  Therefore, there should be no need to determine the array's
>>     min/max in this inefficient manner.
>>
>>     Ben Root
>>

>     Hi Ben,
>     I tried adding vmin & vmax the the imshow call but I still get a
>     MemoryError.
>     The grid file is 1.15 GB and I have ~4.5 out of 8 GB of memory
>     available when I launch ipython, 3.5 when I execute imshow and 2

mpl simply is not designed for image-type operations on huge arrays,
vastly larger than what can be displayed.  It is up to the user to
down-sample or otherwise reduce the size of the array fed to imshow.

> Well, it looks like setting vmin/vmax helped, because your traceback

Did a new traceback get posted in a message that was not sent to the
list?  I found only the original traceback.

> shows that the code made significant progress.  The issue here is that
> the process_value() method doesn't make a lot of sense.  I am not sure
> what is the rationale behind its logic.  Hopefully, someone else can
> chime in with an explanation of what is going on.

Normalization has to handle all sorts of inputs--masked or not, all
sorts of numbers, scalar or array--and it is much easier to do this
efficiently if all these possibilities are reduced to a very few at the
start.  Specifically, it needs to supply a copy of the input (so that
normalization doesn't change the original) in a floating point masked
array, using float32 if possible for space efficiency.  It needs to keep
track of whether the input was a scalar, so that normalization can
return a scalar when given a scalar input.

Eric