On 2012/09/16 8:54 AM, Benjamin Root wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 2:09 PM, Skipper Seabold <jsseab...@gmail.com
> <mailto:jsseab...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is there a way to overwrite suptitle? When using 3rd party libs that
>     return a figure, if they set suptitle and don't give you the text
>     object back then you can't overwrite it? This doesn't seem right to
>     me.
>

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10559144/matplotlib-suptitle-prints-over-old-title
>
>     Skipper
>

> Correct, this still seems to be the case.  Looking at the code in
> figure.py, the suptitle() function just creates a text object and places
> it at a default location.  Then it simply returns the object without
> saving a reference to it being a figure title.  The only reference kept
> is in the self.texts list that it keeps.  I see no reason why it has to
> be this way, though, and would certainly welcome a patch to fix this
> oversight (would make the code involving bbox_tight to be more simple, I
> think.

Why should a reference be kept other than that in self.texts?  Instead
of keeping track of it somewhere else, would it be sufficient for the
suptitle method to add a default "suptitle" label to the text object?
Is there really anything special about the "suptitle" compared to any
other text object that might be placed on the figure?

Eric