________________________________
 From: Jeff Whitaker <jsw...@fastmail.fm>
To: matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Cc: rawlin...@yahoo.com
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:44 PM
Subject: Re: [Matplotlib-users] error installing basemap

Michael:  The NetCDFFile function was deprecated a few releases back, and
recently removed.  If you have netcdf4-python installed you can do

from netCDF4 import Dataset as NetCDFFile

and the script should work as before.

Regarding the second error, you must open the file for write access
    (mode='w') if you want to add attributes to the data variables.

-Jeff