On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Paul Tremblay <paulhtremb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In R, there are many default data sets one can use to both illustrate code
> and explore the scripting language. Instead of having to fake data, one can
> pull from meaningful data sets, created in the real world. For example, this
> one liner actually produces a plot:
>
> plot(mtcars$hp~mtcars$mpg)
>
> where mtcars refers to a built-in data set taken from Motor Trend Magazine.
> I don't believe matplotlib has anything similar. I have started to download
> some of the R data sets and store them as pickles for my own use. Does
> anyone else have any interest in creating a repository for these data sets
> or otherwise sharing them in some way?

Vincent converted several R datasets back to csv, that can be easily
loaded from the web with, for example, pandas.
http://vincentarelbundock.github.com/Rdatasets/
The collection is a bit random.

statsmodels has some datasets that we use for examples and tests
http://statsmodels.sourceforge.net/devel/datasets/index.html
We were always a bit slow with adding datasets because we were too
cautious about licensing issues. But R seems to get away with
considering most datasets to be public domain.
We keep adding datasets to statsmodels as we need them for new models.

The machine learning packages like sklearn have packaged the typical
machine learning datasets.

If you are interested, you could join up with statsmodels or with
Vincent to expand on what's available.

Josef