On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Benjamin Root <ben.r...@ou.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM, William Furnass <w...@thearete.co.uk>wrote:
>
>> Did anything ever come of the MPL black and white mode mentioned in
>> the following?  I rarely want to produce colour plots and having an
>> inbuilt mechanism for cycling through line styles that can be
>> activated with a keyword argument would be very handy.
>>

>> http://www.mail-archive.com/matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00367.html
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Will
>>

> Perhap's Tony Yu's mpltools might be the closest we have gotten to this
> goal.  There has been a number of technical hurdles that I have not had the
> time or resources to iron out.  Hopefully, it will be helpful to you.
>
> http://tonysyu.github.com/mpltools/getting_started.html
>
> Cheers!
> Ben Root

Thanks for the advertisement Ben ;)

Will: If you're just interested in grayscale plotting, here's a direct link
to the example:

http://tonysyu.github.com/mpltools/auto_examples/style/plot_grayscale.html

The discussion that you link to talks specifically about line styles. In
the past there's been discussion of adding a linestyle cycle rc param, but
I don't think there's been progress on that front.

BTW, Ben: are you still thinking about some sort of hierarchical
configuration management? I think it'd make a great MEP, if you find the
time.

Best,
-Tony