Hello,

I'm confused by the dpi property of figures that can be set in
matplotlibrc or passed to pyplot.figure().

It seems to me that dpi is really a property of the backend, not the
figure, and the only place to specify it ought to be when saving into a
bitmap file.

For example, when showing a figure on the screen, I really want
matplotlib to use the physical dpi of the monitor rather than any
default value. When saving the figure in some vector graphics format, I
don't see what the meaning of the dpi is at all.

Am I missing something?

Best,

   -Nikolaus