On 2012/10/16 9:22 PM, Francesco Montesano wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've see a difference between the default backend between
>
> v1.1.1 (shipped with kubuntu 12.10dev) and v1.2.0.rc1, 1.2.0rc2 and
> master (1.3.x).
>

> My set up is to call ipython with pylab and turn on interactive mode. I
> still haven't copied over my matplotlibrc file from my work computer
> (there I use qtagg, if I remember well)
>

> On v1.1.1 the default is [backend: TkAgg], while in the other two cases
> it is  [backend: agg]. Is there some reason for this difference?

The default should be based on what is found when mpl is built, so it
sounds like when you are building v1.2.x, none of the supported gui
toolkits is being found.  I don't know why that is.  Are you installing
on a system that has gui toolkits already installed?  One useful
technique with ubuntu derivatives is to do

sudo apt-get build-dep python-matplotlib

It might pull in more than you really want, but it will certainly
include gui toolkits.

Eric