On Saturday, October 27, 2012, Andreas Hilboll wrote:

> Hi, maybe matplotlib is capable of doing this:
>
> I have two gridded datasets, A and B, for say Europe. Now I want to plot
> a 3d surface with the z-values given by dataset A. The surface should be
> colored using a given color palette and the values from dataset B.
>
> Any ideas on how to do this are greatly appreciated =)
>
> Cheers, Andreas.

Sorry, I have been bogged down with work with the impending "frankenstorm",
and I would expect Jeff to be as well.

Hybrid 3d transforms has been a goal of mine, but there are various
limitations that I have yet to have time to address.  So, there isn't any
nice ways to do what you want.

Now for the dirty ways.  Theoretically, you could still create an Axes3d
object, and have the Basemap object calculate all of the coordinate
transforms, and plot that data at the appropriate z coordinates.  There are
also various methods in axes3d to transform normal artists into 3d artists,
so you could capture the output of drawcounties(), convert it into a 3d
object.

If you get this working, please let us know and share examples! We would
love to see them!

Ben Root