Thank you,

>1) There is a wide gap between label and the contours ie  it appears like
>------     2.4      ......... is there a way to reduce this gap?

Try inline=False for the clabel call, but that might over-do it.

I tried this but it totally removes the space, the inline_space=n do not appear
to take the given value and it works always with default value..

2) The labels are appearing cluttered at about 100m depth though they culd have
spread apart at each level. Is there a way to control their placing to avoid
cluttering?

This has been a long-standing issue with matplotlib.  There has been
improvements, but it still isn't perfect.  I am not familiar with some of the
newer tricks that are available.
Hope some one tried those will respond!

3) Is there a way to make the longitude as in case of maps ie can the x axis
labels be 50E 60E ... 90E

You can set the tick formatter.  Here is one example of how to do it.

http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/custom_ticker1.html

Thank you

I hope that helps!
Ben Root