Il giorno 08/apr/2013 21:05, "Kevin Hunter Kesling" <kmhun...@ncsu.edu> ha
scritto:

> At 4:20pm -0400 Sun, 07 Apr 2013, Francesco Montesano wrote:
>>
>> Il giorno 07/apr/2013 21:03, Kevin Hunter Kesling ha scritto:
>>
>>> On the other hand, I'm still such a noob at Matplotlib ... is there
>>> a way to have one of the subplots take up more than its default 50%
>>> allotment?
>>

>> you can give a look at the last two plots in this example
>> http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/demo_tight_layout.html or
use
>> plot.axes providing the rectangle that you want
>

> That is closer to what I want, but still not there.  I was finally able
to find something that fit the bill to 95% of what I want:

http://matplotlib.1069221.n5.nabble.com/Proposal-for-Broken-Axes-td38050.html

> The first post by 'klukas' does exactly what I asked for.  It's a zig-zag
on the Y-axis to show that what is graphed is not continuous, and unlike
the various "official" examples, the zig-zag placement is user-specifiable,
as opposed to exactly halfway between the top and bottom.

> The only thing I have yet to figure out how to do is to simultaneously
have a zig-zag on the X axis as well -- an artifact of how these zig-zags
must be created via multiple axes on the same figure, rather than as built
in to the axis artist.

> For googleability:
>
> The above linked graph code enables for matplotlib:
>
>  - suppressed zeros on the Y-axis of an XY plot
>  - showing suppressed data on the Y-axis
>  - lightning bolt symbol on the Y-axis
>  - zig-zag on the Y-axis
>  - a "broken" Y-axis
>
> Thanks for your pointers, Francesco, as they helped me to fine-tune my
Google search terms.  And thank you, Klukas, whoever you are.

I'm half that you found the solution for your problem and to have been
useful just providing links. This has been one of the easiest answer I have
ever given :)

And mostly thanks for sharing your findings.

cheers and good night,
Fra