On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 3:34 AM, John Ladasky <john_lada...@sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> After not using Matplotlib for over a year, I'm returning to it.
> Meanwhile, I have upgraded from Python 2.7 to Python 3.2, and I want to
> do all of my software development in Python 3 from now on.
>
> My OS is Ubuntu 12.04.1.  Python 2.7 is still the default Python for
> Ubuntu, and many of the Python 3 packages are not offered as official
> repositories yet. I downloaded Matplotlib 1.2.1, then built it using
> Python 3.  Eventually, I got no build error messages, and proceeded to
> install. (I always have to pick through dependency problems one error
> message at a time.  I wish there was a better way.  The Matplotlib docs
> could be a little better in this respect.)
>
> When I open a Python3 interpreter, I can import matplotlib.  But I am
> not seeing ANYTHING with commands like plt.show().  It executes, and
> then returns.  No output is generated.
>
> This very short and simple test program of mine used to produce output
> with Python 2.7 and Matplotlib 1.1.0.  But with Python 3 and Matplolib
> 1.2.1, I am getting nothing...
>
> import numpy as np
> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>
> x = np.arange(0, 5, 0.1);
> y = np.sin(x)
> plt.plot(x, y)
> plt.show()
>
> It runs.  No error messages are generated.  But I don't get a graph. I
> don't even see a graph flicker on to the screen and disappear an instant
> later.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated!

You will need to make sure you install the gtk packages (both the libraries
and the dev packages) *before* building from source.  If it can't find the
dev packages, then it won't build the interactive backend for it.  I can't
remember if there are python3 specific packages for gtk (or any other gui
for that matter).