I have python 3.3.2 from python.org installed as a Framework.  I set up a
virtualenv to test the script
$ virtualenv-3.3 mpl121 --no-site-packages
$ .mpl121/bin/activate
$ pip-3.3 install numpy
$ pip-3.3 install matplotlib
With this setup, key events are passed to the window behind the active plot
window and no event is printed by the test script.  Mouse clicks in the plot
window do cause the script to print out the event.  I even tried installing
1.4.x into the virtualenv with
$ pip-3.3 install
git+https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib.git#egg=matplotlib
The key events were not printed out by the script.

I tried creating a different virtualenv using --system-site-packages and the
script failed to detect key events.

If I deactivate the virtualenvs and run the script with
matplotlib-1.4.x-py3.3-macosx-10.6-intel.egg in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.3/lib/python3.3/site-packages/
the key events are printed by the script.

I'm not sure why using matplotlib from a virtualenv causes the key events to be
ignored in my setup.  I should have stated in my first reply that I used a
virtualenv to test 1.2.1 and 1.3.0rc2 but not 1.4.x.

Scott