I have three different versions of matplotlib that all output different
file sizes with matplotlib 1.1.1 providing the smallest. This is for the
same exact script. I can post the script if that helps.

MPL 1.4.x: 539.32kb, Ubuntu 12.10
MPL 1.1.1: 172.56kb Ubuntu 12.10
MPL 1.2.1: 475.9kb, Ubuntu 13.04

Is there a reason for this or why would such different file sizes be
produced?? Also I tried using the matplotlib.use('cairo') with no
difference. It actually says that the cairo backend is selected but the
outputted pdf files show the matplotlib pdf backend was used.