I think the function should be np.all(dash_list <= 0.0) instead of np.any?
This works 100% fine on my machine so I think it just hangs if all values
are less than or equal to zero. That hangs on my machine as you stated.

>From digging into that I also realized I could have put (None, None) to get
a solid line in my dash list which is what I desired but I think (1,0) is
more intuitive and doesn't cause any errors. Since dash lists have to be
even number of values, could not just put (1) to get a solid line.

I guess do whichever you think is better.

Cheers,
Jeff