I'm considering changing the behavior of the rcParam |interactive| (which also can be set through |matplotlib.interactive()| and |pyplot.ion()| and |pyplot.ioff()|). Currently, when setting |interactive| to |True|, running any sort of matplotlib plot as a script will fail to display a window. This can be very surprising if a user turns on |interactive| because they prefer its behavior in IPython, but are then surprised that none of their scripts continue to work. I propose to fix this by turning on |interactive| only when running at an interactive console.

See the pull request http://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/2286 for an implementation.

I'm trying to rule out any negative impact of this change, and I would appreciate any feedback if this change will have a negative impact on your application.

Mike