Thanks for these tips. It looks like some programs (like illustrator, and
pdf2ps) are semi-smart about handling transparency when converting to ps.
Both have their quirks (illustrator seems to mess up the bounding box,
pdf2ps makes the text look worse/fuzzy).

Is this the recommended/best strategy?

Thanks,
chris