On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Peter Bloomfield <
peter.bloomfi...@camhpet.ca> wrote:

>  Good morning,
>
> I am running openSuSE 12.2, and this morning I upgraded matplotlib to
> v1.3, and now I am having a problem with suptitle.
> I use the following lines to put a title and legend onto a plot figure
>
>  import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>     plt.figure(1)
>
> plt.suptitle( "Study# : " + os.path.basename( inImage_IO.IO_FileName ) + \
>
> "\n" + "{ Acquired : " + \
>
> AcqDateTime.strftime( "%b %d, %Y - $T_o$ @ %H:%M:%S" ) + " }", \
>
> y=0.98, weight="roman", size="large" )
>
> plt.suptitle( "{Creation Date : " + AnalysisTOD + "}",
>
> x=0.86, y=0.03, weight="roman", size="x-small" )
>

>  Under v1.3, I only get the 'Creation Date : ...' text at the bottom of
> the figure the 'Study# ...' string is not present at the top. If I change
> it to
>
>  import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
>     plt.figure(1)
>
> plt.suptitle( "Study# : ", y=0.98, weight="roman", size="large" )
>
> plt.suptitle( "{Creation Date : " + AnalysisTOD + "}",
>
> x=0.86, y=0.03, weight="roman", size="x-small" )
>
>  the 'Creation Date : ...' text at the bottom of the figure the 'Study# :
> ' string is at the top.
>

> So the problem is in the string construct in the first example. Does
> anybody know of a way to get around this?
>

> Thanks in advance
>

> Peter

Oh, wow... we didn't think anybody was using that "misfeature".  This was a
bug we fixed for 1.3, in that users complained that calling plt.title()
would update an existing title, but plt.suptitle() would not (multiple
calls would just result in text overlaid on top of each other).  We fixed
this for 1.3 so that there is a single text object that is kept and is
revised in subsequent calls to suptitle().  To get what you want, you will
have to consolidate those strings into one.

Cheers!
Ben