I'm banging away at installing MPL on top of python.org's python.  I'm at
the libfreetype/freetype issue.  There seems to be three approaches to
getting MPL's dependencies.

1) install libpng[1] and freetype[2] from source
2) install XQuartz[3] and twiddle /opt/X11, /usr/X11 (per Russell's
directions[4]) so MPL finds XQuartz's libpng/freetype
3) install XQuartz[3] and install pkg-config[5] so MPL can find the
cleverly installed libraries
4) create the MPL binary installer and use that

Option 1 seems simple-est, but installing freetype requires more than
./configure && make && sudo make install.
Option 2 worries me with the manual symlinking and such.  Who knows what
we'll clobber.
Option 3: haven't fully explored.
Option 4: This would require some input from whoever (Gohlke?, Owen?) makes
the binary installers.

[1] http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
[2] http://www.freetype.org/index.html
[3] http://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/