I've been burned by this before as well. MPL stores some intermediate data
products (for example, scaled RGB copies) at full resolution, even though
the final rendered image is downsampled depending on screen resolution.

I've used some hacky tricks to get around this, which mostly involve
downsampling the image on the fly based on screen resolution. One such
effort is at https://github.com/ChrisBeaumont/mpl-modest-image.

If you are loading your arrays from disk, you can also use memory-mapped
arrays -- this prevents you from loading all the data into RAM, and further
cuts down on the footprint.

cheers,
chris