> In the process, I also skimmed the 1.3 release notes. What's this? How
> was it that I missed the new xkcd style???

Did you know about
http://matplotlib.org/xkcd/gallery.html

> I don't know who is responsible for your marketing, but they clearly
> need to blanket the world with press releases about this new
> functionality. This could be the "killer app" for matplotlib.

It has been on frontage of nbviewer for quite some time though,
and if you are interested on historical reason on how/when it
was created, I suggest you to read

http://nbviewer.ipython.org/url/jakevdp.github.com/downloads/notebooks/XKCD_plots.ipynb
or
http://jakevdp.github.io/blog/2012/10/07/xkcd-style-plots-in-matplotlib/

(highly advise to read jake blog in any case)
--
Matthias