Hi,

I am working on a library for image analysis which stores particles as
indexed numpy arrays and provides functionality for managing the particles
beyond merely image masking or altering the arrays directly.  I've already
designed classes for many common shapes including Lines/Curves,
Circles/Ellipses, Polygons, Multi-shapes (eg 4 circles with variable
overlap).

What I'd really LOVE to do would be able to generate a
matplotlib.Collection instance from these objects as generally as possible.
 Then, I'd be able to show data as a masked image, but also get a really
nice looking plot from the objects in their Collection representation.

So my question really is in the implementation.  First, is there a general
collection object that could work with ANY shape, or am I better off
matching my shape to that collection?  For example:

    line --> LineCollection       *vs.*    line --> GeneralCollection
    circle --> CircleCollection           circle ---> GeneralCollection

And then, is the Collections plotting API flexible enough to mix all of
these types together?  Or would I have to settle for only being able to
plot a collection of any 1 shape type at at time?

I will delve into the API further, but ascertaining this information would
really help me get started.

Thanks