I've tried various ways of getting matplotlib on my OS X 10.7.5, and have
it work with numpy, etc.  The approach that worked most smoothly was using
the conda package manager from contiuum
analytics<http://conda.pydata.org/docs/intro.html>.
   At first I installed the complete anaconda
distribution<https://store.continuum.io/cshop/anaconda/>which contains
almost everything I wanted, plus a lot of stuff I don't
need.  And everything worked, including matplotlib.  Since then I've
learned that conda works great installing things one at a time while taking
care of dependencies, so if all I want is matplotlib, I get that plus it
dependencies, and it works.  But if you want an easy, fast (but large)
solution, install Anaconda.   Conda has many other nice features that may
or may not be useful to you.

HTH, gary

~-~-~