Thanks.  That's probably the way I'll go.  At first, I thought creating
separate legend markers and removing them from the plot seemed hacky, but I
guess there's no way that matplotlib could know which legend size I want.
 I wonder if there'd be any interest in a PR to add a keyword to legend to
handle this situation?