Sorry for what is a beginnerish question but I'm having  a hard time using
the docs. I want to remove a previous plot from an axes. How do I do this?

Incidentally, it makes the docs hard to use that there are so many methods
on Axes which are spread a great distance over the page. It would be nice
to have a concise listing of the methods of Axes.

Note that I'm not using pyplot, but I think the term for what I'm doing is
using the API. I'm subclassing FigureCanvas in PyQt, creating a Figure, and
creating an axes using Figure.add_subplot().

Mike