I wrote up my answer to this question on stackoverflow once:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/19895262/when-to-use-the-matplotlib-pyplot-class-and-when-to-use-the-plot-object-matplot/21004357#21004357

Others may have different opinions or variations on the theme, but this is
how I look at the issue. It is also the reason why I don't want to
deprecate pylab (but do want to keep it out of examples).

Cheers!
Ben Root