I had just been looking into this myself.

My starting point would be this example:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13570287/image-overlay-in-3d-plot-using-python
but instead of the hard-coded '10' as the z values in plot_surface, put in
whatever data or function of x and y that you want. Using x+y seemed to do
what I expected. Is that what you're looking for?