What it means, specifically, is that one (or more) figure objects still in
memory at the time of exiting the python interpretor are missing the
expected canvas attribute. I see this happen in various backends from time
to time. The best I can figure is that somehow, the destructor for the
figure has already been called (as it should), which should eliminate its
"FigureManager" instance, but for some reason, that figure manager is still
around and its destructor finally tries to destroy the canvas, which is
already gone.

It is really an odd bug, and I am fairly certain my diagnostic isn't quite
right because I never was able to make a SSCE for
testing/debugging/traceback purposes. The closest I was able to get was
with a preliminary version of the animation framework Ryan May and I were
working on a few years back. His code was holding some extra references,
while destroying other objects... it was weird.

Sorry, I don't have any solutions for you. Maybe someone else will.

Ben Root