Exec. summary - I was having strange behavior with matshow in a loop and
also with discrepancies between how iPython Notebook and Python via IDE
displayed plots.

Solutions:
1) Using pause instead of show fixed matshow in a loop

2) Explicitly invoking %matplotblib qt or generally %matplotlib
{backend} before  importing or using  matplotlib fixed various problems
with plots in notebooks.  Now when I create a plot in a notebook, it
appears, I can work with it, close it when appropriate, and
simultaneously be able to do other work in notebook cells.

Thanks to everyone for the rapid responses.

JBB

On 7/30/14, 10:04 PM, JBB wrote:
> I've followed up on several suggestions and here is what I've done/found.
>
> (I know I don't use mlab or pylab but I pulled the import lines from
> another source and am leaving them in for the heck of it)

[ Woe/intrigue trimmed ]