On 08/31/2014 09:48 PM, John Ladasky wrote:
Hi folks,

I am trying to install Matplotlib 1.4.0 on an older laptop, running Ubuntu 12.04. I am committed to Python 3. In the standard Ubuntu repositories, python3-matplotlib (of any version) is unavailable until Ubuntu 13.04.
[snip]

OK. Problem solved. I succeeded in building and installing Matplotlib. It looks like I don't have any backends installed, but I'll fix that next.

I had freetype12 installed, but NOT freetype-dev. I figured this out by looking at the source code of setupext.py. Ordinarily I get more descriptive error messages when a Matplotlib build fails. Even if they're coming from the C++ compiler, I get the name of the file which triggered the error, and it is usually related to the name of the broken package.