Off the bat, all I can think of is to use figimage:
http://matplotlib.org/api/pyplot_api.html?highlight=figimage#matplotlib.pyplot.figimage

Of course, an issue is how to determine the location for the flags. Perhaps
one could take advantage of each label object's position and transform that
into figure coordinates. Or possibly with just simply imshow(), but
specifying the extents determined from the label object's position.

Cheers!
Ben Root