I guess I could change my API a bit to allow for data that would better fit
ax.plot3d.  I suppose plot3d is really what I'm trying to make, where I'd
just pass 5 evenly spaced curves from my dataset.

If you think of a hacky solution even, can you shoot me a message?

Thanks for your help and the heads up about the graphics bugs.