I have been creating chloropleth maps in Python by adding patches and/or
polygons in a matplotlib Axes but I'm looking for something easier to use.

Ideally, the interface should be similar to how contour maps or pseudocolor
plots are created where, at the minimum, only one call to a function is
needed to create these plots from data. Colors are automatically assigned
and normalized based on values. A colorbar can then be added by calling
another function.

So far, the closest package seems to be geopandas. Is there an another
package that is nearer to what I want? That is, is there a package that can
make a (basic) chloropleth of values stored as a dictionary, numpy array or
pandas dataframe in one call?

I'm willing to contribute code and help develop the chloropleth capability
of a package since I currently end up creating my own function and
manipulating Axes internals just to create a chloropleth.