I have a little update on the issue: I tried it with different versions of
python and matplotlib and it is still present in
python 2.7.6 + matplotlib 1.4.2

but it works as expected in
python 3.4.0 + matplotlib 1.4.2

Should this be reported as a bug in matplotlib 1.4.2 on python 2.7.6?

BTW, I noticed that my minimal text from previous mail didn't get through to
the mailing list, so I am attaching it again (modified for python 2.7)
without formatting:

from __future__ import print_function
import sys
if sys.version_info < (3, 0):
    import Tkinter as tk
else:
    import tkinter as tk
from matplotlib.backends.backend_tkagg import FigureCanvasTkAgg
import matplotlib.figure as mplfig

class Test:
    def on_press(self, event):
        print("clicked2")

    def connect(self, canvas):
        self.cidpress = canvas.mpl_connect(
                'button_press_event', self.on_press)
        self.cidpress = canvas.mpl_connect(
                'button_press_event', lambda event: print("clicked1"))

class App(object):
    def on_press(self, event):
        print("clicked0")
    def __init__(self, master):
        self.fig = mplfig.Figure()
        self.canvas = FigureCanvasTkAgg(self.fig, master=master)

        dl = Test()
        dl.connect(self.canvas)

        self.cidpress = self.canvas.mpl_connect(
                'button_press_event', self.on_press)

        self.canvas.get_tk_widget().pack()
        self.canvas.draw()

if __name__ == "__main__":
    root = tk.Tk()
    app = App(root)
    tk.mainloop()

this should print
clicked2
clicked1
clicked0

after each click on the canvas. But in python 2.7.6 it prints only
clicked1
clicked0