Yeah, I am at a real loss here. Can you try one of the axes_grid1 examples?
Also, how about the basemap examples? Those are both mpl_toolkit packages
as well and might behave similarly. Also, it would be interesting to figure
out at exactly which step the failure happens. There is a package called
"faulthandler" that is really useful for that:
http://faulthandler.readthedocs.org/en/latest/ It is a bit limited on
Windows, but it is better than nothing.
Also, does it fail regardless if you are doing savefig() or show()?

Unfortunately, the "traceback" info you provided doesn't seem to be encoded
properly (or at least, not auto-detectable).

Ben Root