I am a bit confused. Your variable is "TRI", but you keep saying
rectangles. You are also referring to unstructured rectangles, which makes
zero sense to me. Do you mean triangles?

If you, matplotlib has the "tri-" family of functions and a whole module
devoted to triangulation-related tasks:
http://matplotlib.org/api/tri_api.html
http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/tricontour_demo.html

Even the mplot3d toolkit has (limited) support:
http://matplotlib.org/examples/mplot3d/trisurf3d_demo.html

I hope that helps!
Ben Root