Update 2.

I made a new Anaconda Python 2.7 environment and cycled through some
different MPL versions. Everything works as I would expect in 1.4.0;
however, moving to 1.4.1 is when the problem occurs. I see this same
problem if I do the OO commands instead of pyplot.

import numpy as np
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

x = np.linspace(0, np.pi*2, 1000)
y = np.sin(x)